What are our current issues and trends in academic libraries? One of my favorite sources for years has been the Horizon Report.
In case you missed it, the New Media Consortium (NMC) went bankrupt late last year and EDUCAUSE purchased their assets in February 2018. You can still see the 2017 library edition of the Horizon Report here. I love how they broke down trends, challenges and technological developments and displayed it all visually:
EDUCAUSE released the full 2018 higher education edition in August. See it here. There are several items relevant to libraries: Proliferation of Open Educational Resources, Improving Digital Literacy, Advancing Digital Equity and Makerspaces.
There are also these other resources from EDUCAUSE:
- Top 10 IT Issues Infographic
- 2018 Key Issues in Teaching and Learning
- Higher Education’s Top 10 Strategic Technologies and Trends for 2018
It is not certain whether or not the library edition will continue, but I am guessing it will not. We do have these library resources as well:
- 2018 top trends in academic libraries from ACRL
- Top Tech Trends from LITA
- State of America’s Libraries Report 2018 from ALA
- Trends from the Center for the Future of Libraries (ALA)
Reflecting on all these resources, here are key issues and trends we are facing . . .