While I would like a bit more documentation to be sure we can trace our Viponds back to this Nicholas Vipond, this is a cool document from 1742 showing Nicholas Vipond became an indentured apprentice to John Hill.
This part of the family is pretty confusing! They like to use the same names over and over again – lots of Isaacs and lots of Harrisons. Here are the facts and sources I have sorted out so far:
- 23 Aug 1833 – Isaac born to Harrison & Ann Vipond (index)
- 1841 – Harrison and Ann and 3 kids are in Penrith, he was a lead miner (census)
- 1851 – Harrison (born 1805) and Ann (born 1808) and 5 kids are in Penrith, he was a lead miner (census)
- 1861 – Isaac and Catherine and 2 kids are in Penrith, he was a lead miner (census)
- 1863 – James in Darby, Pickaway, OH (draft record)
- 10 Oct 1864 – Isaac was born (death cert) (birth index says Dec 1865)
- 22 Nov 1866 – James and Birtie marry Pickaway, Ohio, USA (county marriage record)
- 1870 – James and Bertie and 2 kids are in Wayne, Pickaway, OH (census)
- 1871 – Isaac and Catherine and 5 kids are in Penrith, Cumberland, England, he was a laborer born 1834 (census)
- 28 Oct 1878 – possibly Isaac was naturalized in Rock Island IL, came to the US in 1871 (it says Isaac in the index and Harrison on the card)
- 1880 – Isaac and Katherine and 5 kids in Watertown, Rock Island IL, he’s a coal miner from England (census)
- 1880 – James and Roberty and 3 kids are in Pleasant, Fulton IL. They are from OH. He’s a day laborer with parents from NY and her parents are from VA. (census)
- 29 Jun 1887 – Isaac and Belle married in Rock Island IL (state index)
- 1895 – Isaac and Belle and 4 kids in Bellair, Appanoose, IA (census)
- 1900 – Isaac, Belle and 7 kids in Greene, Mercer IL. He was born 1865 England, she was born 1870 OH. He was a coal miner. Isaac immigrated 1895. (census)
- 1900 – Brother Frank, Bertha and Rosie Vipond are next door (census)
- 1900 – Catherine and son Harrison are nearby. She was born 1855 & came to the US in 1871 (census)
- 1910 – Isaac, Belle and 5 kids are in Otrey, Big Stone MN (census)
- 29 Oct 1918 – Frank died in Greene, Mercer IL (state index)
- 1920 – Isaac, Belle and James are in Big Stone MN. They came in 1871. Belle was born in OH (census)
- 29 Sep 1924 – Harrison died in Greene, Mercer IL (state index) – which Harrison!?
- 29 Jan 1920 – Catherine died in Greene, Mercer IL (state index)
- 24 Feb 1928 – Louise Belle died Big Stone, MN (index)
- 1930 – Isaac is in Davenport, IA (census)
- 1940 – Isaac with daughter Mabel’s family in Ortonville, Big Stone, MN (census)
- 12 Mar 1944 – Isaac died Minneapolis, Hennepin MN. He was a farmer, not a vet (death cert)
Funny thing I noticed: Catherine, Harrison and Frank all died on the 29th! Same county, different months and years, but they all died on the 29th – how weird is that?
- On Isaac’s death certificate in 1944, it says his father was Harrison. I don’t find any evidence that this is true, so it is likely that the informant was mistaken.
- We are not completely sure about James Taylor. That was a common name and we will need to look more at the whole family to be sure our James Taylor is the one who died in Iowa in 1925.
You might also be interested in: